Can a Minor Bring Forward a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Texas?

Request Your Free Consultation

Your worst nightmare has come true and your minor child has sustained injuries due to another party’s negligence. Because of his or her injuries, your child requires medical treatments that you might not be able to afford. But can your child sue the responsible party per the Lonestar State’s laws? If you need to know, please read on, then contact one of our experienced Tyler, TX slip and fall accident attorneys to learn if a minor can bring forward a personal injury lawsuit in the state of Texas.

Is a Texas minor allowed to file suit for personal injury?

Under Texas law, minors can’t file a lawsuit on their own. They lack legal capacity. However, minors who have sustained injuries can assert their rights in a lawsuit to recover compensation. Minors who wish to do so must have a legal representative, known as a next friend or a next of friend.

How does a parent, guardian or next friend file a personal injury claim on behalf of a minor in Texas?

In the state of Texas, parents or legal guardians can sue for two types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages relate to the financial burden of the minor’s injuries including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Hospital bills
  • Doctor’s visits
  • Physical therapy
  • Any and all medical treatments

Conversely, non-economic damages relate to non-monetary damages, including:

  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Disfigurement
  • Pain and suffering

If your minor child has suffered in any way because of the negligence of another person or party, you should reach out to a skilled Tyler, TX personal injury attorney to discuss your next steps.

How can a Smith County personal injury attorney help you?

First of all, a Smith County personal injury attorney will inform you of your rights and responsibilities as they pertain to your child and his or her case. A qualified legal representative will also collect, prepare and present the evidence needed to prove your child’s case in court. He or she will provide guidance so that you, the parent or guardian, can make informed decisions on behalf of your child. You and your child do not have to undertake this process alone. Please give us a call today.

Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm

There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.