Can I Sue on Behalf of My Child if He is Injured in Texas?

Request Your Free Consultation

No parent wants to imagine the day where their child sustains a serious injury. However, it happens, and oftentimes, it is not the child’s fault. Please continue reading to learn more about suing on behalf of your child if he or she was injured due to another party’s negligence and how our Texas personal injury attorneys can help. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What should I do if my child is injured in an accident?

If your child is injured in an accident, the first thing you should do is call the police to the scene of the accident, as they will document the incident and send an ambulance. From here, if your child was injured in an auto accident, you should ask the other driver for his/her insurance information. If your child was injured on another person’s property, you should notify the property owner. You should then take pictures of the accident/unsafe conditions that caused the accident, ask any witnesses for their contact information, and ensure your child receives immediate medical treatment. Finally, you should retain the services of an experienced Texas personal injury attorney who can help work to recover the compensation your child deserves and needs to heal.

Can I sue on behalf of my child if my child is injured due to another party’s negligence?

If your child is injured due to another party’s negligence, fortunately, you can seek to hold the negligent party accountable for their actions on behalf of your child. These lawsuits generally have two parts. First, you will sue for actual financial damages, such as the cost of medical care, therapy, and other costs you’ve incurred. These are known as economic damages. From here, you can also sue for noneconomic damages, which include things such as the loss of enjoyment of life, pain and suffering, disfigurement, and more.

What is the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in the state of Texas?

If your child is injured in an accident, the time to take action is now. This is because there is a statute of limitations in place that regulates the amount of time wrongly injured parties have to sue the party responsible for their injuries. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Texas, is, under most circumstances, two years. This means that you will, generally, have two years from the date of your accident to sue the liable party. Our firm is here to help you today–all you have to do is give us a call.

Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm

There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.