When we ride in the car as a passenger, we are putting our trust in the driver. We assume that whoever is driving us will be safe and responsible. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. In fact, car accidents are incredibly common and can lead to serious injuries. So, if you are the passenger when a car accident occurs, will you be able to recover compensation? Read on to learn more about car accidents in Texas.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can occur for any number of reasons. Some accidents are a result of hazardous road conditions, inclement weather, or faulty car parts. But, the majority of accidents are due to driver negligence. The most common examples of negligence include:
- Making illegal turns
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Texting and driving
- Carelessly changing lanes
- Otherwise driving recklessly by ignoring traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you need, you will have to provide proof of this negligence. To do so, you should take the following steps:
- Call 911.
- Document the scene. Make sure to take photos and videos of the damage done to any vehicles or property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts. If anyone saw your accident occur they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Make sure to file your claim on time. In Texas, the statute of limitations for a personal injury accident is generally two years from the date of the accident. This means if you fail to file within two years, you will most likely lose your opportunity to recover compensation.
- Reach out to a skilled attorney. An attorney may be able to gather further evidence, including security footage and police reports.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, reach out to our firm to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney.
Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm
There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.