Escalators do not seem very dangerous, but when accidents occur, they can be life-altering. As a result, it is important to understand how these accidents occur and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about escalator accidents in Texas.
How do Escalator Accidents Happen?
There are a number of ways for an escalator accident to occur, including:
- Missing comb plates
- Inadequate escalator lighting
- Loose or missing screws
- Improperly working emergency shut-off buttons
- Faulty handrails
- Electrical or mechanical malfunctions
- Escalator design flaws
- Clothing or limbs getting snagged by machinery
- Escalators reversing direction
- Missing steps
- Overcrowded escalators
- Between-step entrapments
- Finger entrapments
- Missing foot brushes
- Gaps and spaces
What do I do if an Escalator Accident Occurs?
If you have been injured in an escalator accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Seek medical attention: It is important to go to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately after an accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are properly treated while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. This can play a large role in a personal injury case, so be sure to ask for a copy of any relevant medical documents before leaving.
- While waiting for the ambulance, document the scene: If possible, take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Ask witnesses for their contact information: If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Contact an attorney: An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to determine which party is responsible for your accident. For example, when it comes to escalators, it can be hard to determine whether you have a premises liability case, or a product liability case. Additionally, he or she may be able to obtain important information, such as security camera footage, police reports, and more.
If you have been injured in an escalator accident, reach out to our firm today. We will fight to recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm
There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.