In today’s day and age, the most common cause of car accidents in the U.S. is distracted driving. However, now, the distractions are not limited to billboards, signs, and otherwise–they are primarily right in the driver’s seat. Texting while driving has caused countless accidents in Texas and in the U.S., and if you are someone who has been injured in an accident by someone who was texting and driving, there is a very good chance you will qualify for compensation. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable Texas personal injury attorneys to learn more about what to do after car accidents and how we can help you if you have been injured in one. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What should I do if I have been injured in a car accident?
If you are injured in an accident, you should do your best to take the following steps:
- Call the police.
- Ask the driver for his or her insurance information.
- Take pictures of any damage to your car, the other driver’s car, and any property involved in the accident.
- Ask anyone who saw your accident for their contact information.
- Obtain all medical documentation concerning your injuries.
- Retain the services of a knowledgeable Texas personal injury attorney who can gather and present all additional evidence needed to prove your claim. For example, our firm can work to uncover phone records to prove that the individual was indeed texting at the time of your accident.
What is the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Texas?
If you are someone who has been injured in a car accident, you may wish to wait to see if your injuries heal on their own. Unfortunately, though this is entirely understandable, our firm cannot advise you to do so, for if you wait too long, you may lose out on your right to sue. Essentially, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Texas is two years, which means you will have two years from the date of your accident to take legal action against the party responsible. If you wait any longer than two years, you will most likely be time-barred from suing. Our firm is here to begin the claims process on your behalf today–all you have to do is give us a call.
Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm
There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.