If you are in the supermarket, you are likely more focused on your shopping list than anything else. Grocery shopping may feel like a mundane task, but it can actually be rather dangerous. Read on to learn more about supermarket accidents, how they occur, and what to do in the event of an injury.
How do Supermarket Accidents Occur?
Supermarket accidents can occur for any number of reasons. But, the most common causes of accidents include:
- Falling product displays
- Trip and falls
- Slip and falls on spilled liquids or leaking freezers
- Broken shopping carts
- Inadequate security
What do I do in the Event of an Injury?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you will need to prove that this negligence occurred. In order to do so, you should take the following steps:
- Take photos and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident.
- Seek medical attention: you should make sure your injuries are tended to. At the hospital, ask your doctor to provide you with copies of any relevant medical documents. This will provide proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Make sure the manager of the supermarket is aware of the incident and that he or she files a report.
- Gather the contact information of any witnesses. If a shopper or employee witnessed your accident occur, obtain his or her contact information. A witness may be able to corroborate your version of events and provide testimony.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney. An attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, such as police reports and security footage.
- Make sure to file your claim on time.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you are interested in pursuing legal action, you will need to file your personal injury claim within a certain amount of time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. Generally, in Texas, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is two years. This means that if you fail to file your claim within two years from the date of your injury, you will most likely lose your opportunity to recover compensation. To avoid this, you should contact an experienced personal injury attorney.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a supermarket accident, contact our firm today to speak with a dedicated attorney.
Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm
There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.