Pedestrian accidents occur often and can be incredibly dangerous. As a result, it is important to know how to avoid an accident and what to do in the event that one does occur. Read on to learn more about pedestrian accidents in Texas.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
For the most part, pedestrian accidents are caused by driver negligence. Some of the most common examples of negligence include:
- Drunk drivers
- Obstructed visibility
- Reckless driving
- Dangerous road conditions
- Poor weather conditions
How Can I Protect Myself From an Accident?
It may seem obvious, but there are some important steps to take when it comes to navigating the roads as a pedestrian:
- Pay attention to lights and signs
- It can be tempting to cross the street when you don’t have the “walk” sign or symbol, but it is important to walk when you are supposed to, rather than when it simply seems safe.
- Pay attention
- You know to look both ways before you cross the street, but it is important to be extremely vigilant. Often, we are distracted by our phones or rushing to our destinations and we don’t fully pay attention to our surroundings.
- Use the crosswalk
- If you are in a rush, you may attempt to cross the street at the first chance you get, but it is important to use the designated crosswalk. In fact, jaywalking can leave you with a fine.
- Make sure you are visible
- Sometimes, a driver simply cannot see you. To avoid this, you will want to wear visible clothing, such as reflective gear.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be eligible to recover compensation for your burdens. You may be impacted physically, financially, and emotionally. To begin the legal process, you will need to file a personal injury claim. In Texas, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years. This means that if you fail to file your claim within two years from the date of the accident, you will likely lose your chance to recover compensation.
If you or a loved one is injured in a pedestrian accident, reach out to our firm today to discuss your case.
Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm
There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.