According to the National Safety Council (NSC), the increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924. The NSC estimates that 42,060 people have died in U.S. car accidents in 2o20. This may come as a surprise since COVID-19 led to a significant decrease in road travel.
As a result, it is important to know the most common causes of car accidents and what to do in the event that an accident occurs.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Accidents can occur for a number of different reasons. Some accidents are a result of inclement weather, poor road conditions, and faulty car parts. But, for the most part, car accidents are a result of negligence. Some of the most common forms of negligence include:
- Making illegal turns
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Texting and driving
- Carelessly changing lanes
- Otherwise driving recklessly by ignoring traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
How Can I Recover Compensation After a Car Accident?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to do so, you will have to prove that this negligence occurred. To do so, you should be sure to:
- Call 911. The police can call an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene. If possible, take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Be sure to document any damage done to all vehicles and property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts. If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their contact information. They may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention. It is important that you visit the hospital immediately after an accident. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with documentation of the origin and extent of your injuries. Make sure to ask for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
If you have been injured in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, you will need the help of an experienced personal injury attorney.
Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm
There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.