Find out why it is critical that you receive medical attention immediately following your accident and how a proficient Tyler, TX personal injury lawyer at J. Chad Parker, PLLC can assist you in obtaining the right medical care and subsequent evidence for your claim. Together, we can get you the compensation that you rightfully deserve.
Why should I seek medical attention after an accident?
Receiving medical attention immediately after an accident is necessary so that your injuries can be assessed and treated by a medical professional. And if you are looking at filing a personal injury claim, it is especially important because medical documentation is an essential piece of evidence. Aside from satisfying the burden of proof, the following are more reasons why immediate medical care will support your claim:
- Establishing causation: the longer you wait, the harder it is to prove that the accident was the direct cause of your injuries. With this, you give the jury, judge, and the other party’s insurance company grounds to question not only the correlation but the seriousness of your injuries.
- Maximizing your settlement offer: If you do not seek immediate aid, you may not know the full extent of your injuries, the total cost of damages, and therefore the total amount you should settle for. Once you accept a settlement that does not cover all of your medical expenses, you cannot go back and request more.
- Filing before the statute of limitations: Texas’ statute of limitations for personal injury claims is generally two years from the date of the accident. Anytime after that, you will be barred from suing. So, delaying medical assistance can indirectly delay your decision to file a claim until it is too late.
How do I get the right medical attention after an accident?
Below are the steps you should follow for the right medical attention that will benefit your personal injury claim in the long run:
- At the scene of the accident, call 911. The police will then call medical attention on your behalf.
- Once they are on the scene, allow the medical professionals to attend to you immediately.
- After leaving the scene, go to the hospital independently and consistently to receive treatment as necessary.
- Be sure to save all medical bills and documents throughout the process.
If you would like assistance with seeking medical care or filing your claim, contact a talented Tyler, TX personal injury lawyer today.
Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm
There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.