Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are extremely popular ways to get around. But, when we utilize rideshare services, we are trusting a stranger to get us safely to our destinations. For the most part, these drivers will drive safely and responsibly. But, accidents do occur. Read on to learn more about Uber & Lyft accidents in Texas.
Causes of Rideshare Accidents
Uber & Lyft accidents can occur for any number of reasons. But, for the most part, these accidents are a result of negligence. Some of the most common forms of negligence include:
- Making illegal turns
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Texting and driving
- Carelessly changing lanes
- Otherwise driving recklessly by ignoring traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
Liability After an Uber or Lyft Accident
Often, it is difficult to determine liability in Uber and Lyft accidents, as the drivers are considered independent contractors, rather than employees of a company. But, depending upon the situation, Uber and Lyft may provide injured parties with liability coverage up to a certain amount, depending on whether the driver was on the clock. Uber and Lyft’s liability coverage system is as follows:
- Period 0: This is when the driver is not logged into the rideshare app. If an accident occurs at this time, Uber/Lyft will not provide liability coverage.
- Period 1: This is when the driver is logged in but has not yet accepted a ride. If he or she causes an accident, Uber/Lyft will provide liability coverage of up to $50,000 per person injured in the accident, $100,000 total injury liability per accident, and $25,000 in property damage liability.
- Period 2: When a driver has accepted a trip and is en route to the rider and causes an accident, the liability coverage will increase to $1 million.
- Period 3: This is when an accident occurs when the rider is in the Uber/Lyft vehicle at the time of the accident. In this scenario, Uber/Lyft provides coverage of up to $1 million, as well as limited coverage for damage to the driver’s car and uninsured motorists’ coverage.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an Uber/ Lyft accident, contact our firm today to speak with a dedicated attorney.
Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm
There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.