If you were injured as a passenger in a car accident, read forth to discover how an experienced Tyler, Texas car accident lawyer at J. Chad Parker, PLLC can evaluate your options and fight for your financial compensation on your behalf.
Can I claim damages as a passenger in a car accident?
As an innocent passenger in a car accident, you are eligible to hold the negligent party accountable and recover both economic and non-economic damages that you incurred from the accident. So, you should not hesitate in recovering damages if you incurred any of the following economic and non-economic damages:
- Economic damages:
- You are receiving hefty medical bills for your injuries, and expect to receive more for future treatments.
- You are experiencing lost wages due to your injuries for days, weeks, months, or even years.
- You are required to purchase medical equipment to aid your injuries.
- You are required to hire outside assistance to aid your injuries.
- Non-economic damages:
- You are experiencing emotional distress due to your injuries.
- You are experiencing pain and suffering due to your injuries.
- You now have a loss of independence due to your injuries.
As a passenger, is there another option besides filing a personal injury claim?
At initial thought, you may feel uncomfortable with filing a lawsuit against a negligent driver if they happen to be the host driver with a friend or family relation to you. But rest assured, a common misconception is that your suing will directly impact their personal finances. Rather, your suing will directly impact their insurance company.
Nevertheless, before undergoing the personal injury claim process, you should first submit a claim to the negligent driver’s insurance company. If the insurer does not offer a justifiable settlement that covers all of your injuries, then you should initiate your lawsuit.
As a passenger, what approach should I take when filing a claim?
Before filing your claim, you will need to ensure that you can satisfy the burden of proof. This means that you will need to collect sufficient evidence that shows a direct correlation between your injuries and damages to the car accident. To do so, follow these steps:
- Call 911. Law enforcement officers will arrive to conduct a report and call medical attention.
- Seek medical treatment as soon as they arrive on the scene.
- Collect the contact information of all parties involved. This includes their name, phone number, driver’s license number, and insurance company information.
- Take photos and videos of the scene to document all injuries and other damages.
- Collect all medical documents, medical bills, and other expense receipts that are related to your injuries and damages.
- Retain the services of a skilled Tyler, TX auto accident attorney to file your claim.
Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm
If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for a Smith County, Texas attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.