In an average year, the Lonestar State hosts tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of motor vehicle collisions resulting in personal injury. 3,890 of those result in fatalities. This is in large part because of the high population of Texas. If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a motor vehicle collision, please read on, then contact an experienced Tyler, Texas car accident lawyer to learn what the most common causes of car accidents are in Texas.
What leads to most car accidents in Texas?
Based on data compiled by responding agencies, the most common causes of car accidents are as follows:
- Driver inattention and distraction: Talking on a cell phone, texting, flipping through radio stations, putting on makeup, reading a map – all of these actions could lead to car accidents.
- Following too closely: Although tailgating usually results in “minor” accidents, even the slightest fender bender can have disastrous consequences.
- Failure to yield right of way: Texas is notorious for people not adhering to “right of way” rules.
- Unsafe lane changes: Many of these instances happen after a driver fails to signal their intentions before pulling recklessly into traffic.
- Backing up unsafely: Sadly, some drivers do not look behind them before backing up.
- Unsafe passing: Involving actions like whipping in and out of lanes at high speeds, unsafe passing accounts for a good percentage of Texas’s monthly collisions.
- Speeding: While many municipalities are decreasing their speed limits, some drivers decide to ignore them.
- Inexperienced drivers: Those who lack an adequate understanding of Texas’s driving rules find it hard to cope with driving in an urban area.
- Disregarding traffic signals: Running red lights and failing to stop at stop signs can lead to a chaotic driving scene.
- Drunk driving: No matter how well you drive, you remain at risk of those who impair themselves.
- Vehicle malfunction: Bald tires, ineffective brakes, steering system malfunctions, engine failure, improperly maintained transmissions, inadequate suspensions and broken head or brake lights can all lead to accidents.
- Improper road design: Road geometry, the absence of traffic signals or signs, potholes and other road defects all contribute to car accidents.
Regardless of how you sustained injuries in a car accident, you should reach out to a skilled Tyler, TX personal injury attorney to discuss your next steps. He or she will not only help you file the suit in accordance with Lonestar State statute, but also assist you in holding the negligent parties responsible. Please give us a call today so we can fight for you.
Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm
There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.