A trip to your favorite department store may be more dangerous than you realize. When department store accidents occur, they can result in serious injuries. Read on to learn more about department store accidents in Texas and what to do if you sustain an injury.
Common Causes of Department Store Accidents
Department store accidents can happen in a number of ways. But, the majority of accidents are due to negligence. If department store owners or employees fail to keep the premises maintained at all times, customers can become injured. The most common causes of department store accidents include:
- Spills left uncleaned
- Poorly placed floor mats
- Liquids on bathroom floors
- Falling merchandise from shelves
- Defective escalators, elevators, or other equipment used in the store
- Poorly lit parking lots
- Lack of security
What do I do if I am Involved in an Accident?
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof that this negligence occurred. In order to do this, be sure to take the following steps:
- Call 911: You should call the police, as they can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene: If possible, take pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention: Visit the hospital immediately after your accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Contact a personal injury attorney: An experienced attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, including security camera footage, police reports, and more.
- File your claim on time: In Texas, the statute of limitations is generally two years from the date of the accident.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a department store accident, contact our firm to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. Our firm is here to fight for you.
Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm
There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.