What to Know About Drunk Driving Accidents Memorial Day Weekend

Request Your Free Consultation
Brown Liquor In Being Poured Into A Glass Cup

Unfortunately, many drunk driving accidents occur over Memorial Day Weekend. If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident, read on to learn more.

What do I do if I am Injured by a Drunk Driver?

If you have been injured by a drunk driver, there is a good chance that you are entitled to recover compensation for things like medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Additionally, if a loved one has been killed by a drunk driver, you can take legal action on their behalf. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. In order to do so, it is important to call the police to the scene right away. The police can send an ambulance, file an accident report, and administer field sobriety tests and a breathalyzer test to determine the driver’s intoxicity. Additionally, you should take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident, documenting the damage done to any cars/property involved. If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their contact information, as they may be able to corroborate your version of events. Be sure to seek medical attention right away. This will ensure that your injuries are properly treated while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.

Texas Dram Shop Law

It is important to know that Texas has a dram shop law in place. The dram shop law in Texas essentially states that you may also sue a bar or another establishment for serving alcohol to someone who was already intoxicated, leading to the accident.

What is the Statute of Limitations?

In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to take legal action as soon as possible. This is because of a deadline known as a statute of limitations. In Texas, the statute of limitations is generally two years from the date of the accident.

Our firm is here to help you recover the compensation you deserve. Reach out today to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney.

Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm

There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.