The 4th of July is around the corner. Many people celebrate this important holiday with a fireworks show. While this is a fun and exciting event, it can also be dangerous. Read on to learn more about firework accidents and what to do in the event of an injury.
Firework Safety Tips
If you intend to light fireworks, it is important that you follow these rules:
- Do not allow children near fireworks, and ensure they never light them off. Fireworks should only be handled by responsible adults.
- Always keep your pets inside, as oftentimes, setting off fireworks can cause them to run away, behave aggressively, or simply act abnormally.
- Do not light off fireworks unless you have a fire extinguisher and a garden hose nearby, just in case.
- If you are about to light off a firework, ensure that you do not stand over it while doing so.
- When you light off a firework that doesn’t go off, do not try and relight it. Instead, pour cool water over it and throw it in the garbage after.
- Do not set off a firework until everyone is far enough away that injury cannot occur. Having people too close to the fireworks can result in serious burn injuries.
- Do not throw a firework away, after lighting, until you’ve doused it in cool water. A hot firework can start a trash can fire.
- Ensure that fireworks are legal in your area before setting them off.
- Never set off fireworks without wearing protective glasses.
Can I Recover Compensation for a Firework Accident?
If you are injured at a friend or family member’s house, or an event, in a firework accident due to their negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to file your claim on time. In Texas, the statute of limitations is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years will mean losing the opportunity to recover the compensation you need in order to heal. To avoid this, reach out to an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm
There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.