Train accidents are not very common, but when they do occur, they are often serious. Train accidents can lead to severe and even fatal injuries. Read on to learn more about train accidents in Texas and what to do in the event of an injury.
How do Train Accidents Occur?
Train accidents can occur for any number of reasons. Accidents can occur in the station, boarding and exiting the train, or on the train itself. Some of the most common accidents are due to:
- Doors closing too soon
- Sudden stops
- Turnstyle injuries
- Operator negligence
- People being dragged under the trail
- Electrical injuries due to malfunctions
- Obstructed walkways
- Robberies and other criminal activity due to poor security
- Broken escalators
- Broken stairs or platforms
- Poor lighting
- Trip and falls in the stations or on the platform due to ice or snow
What Should I do if I am Injured in a Train Accident?
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. In order to do this, make sure to:
- Call 911
- The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene
- Take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Be sure to document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Seek medical attention
- You should visit the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately after an accident occurs. This is because you are likely injured as a result of your accident. In some cases, you may have sustained a serious injury without realizing it. Some injuries do not begin to show symptoms until later on. Therefore, going to the hospital will ensure that you are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving the hospital, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible
- An attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, including security camera footage, police reports, and more.
Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm
There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.