Will I Have to Sue My Friend if I am Injured at His House?

Request Your Free Consultation

If you were recently visiting a friend and were injured at his house, in a slip and fall accident or otherwise, there is a very good chance you may require financial compensation to heal, however, you, of course, do not want to sue your friend. This may seem like a very sticky situation. Fortunately, with an experienced Texas personal injury attorney at your side, it most likely does not have to be. Please continue reading and give us a call to learn more about injuries sustained at a friend’s house. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Who will I sue for an injury at my friend’s house?

Fortunately, under most circumstances, our clients are relieved to learn that they will not have to sue their friend directly. Instead, you will be filing a claim with your friend’s insurance policy. This means that generally, when filing a lawsuit against a property owner, their insurance should pick up the tab, thereby not directly hurting your friend while also hopefully winning you the compensation you need to heal.

How do I know if I have a valid personal injury claim?

If you are injured on someone else’s property, you will have to hire an experienced Smith County personal injury attorney who can gather all of the evidence needed to prove that the property owner knew about the unsafe condition, failed to fix it timely, and that you were injured and sustained significant damages as a result. Our firm will use footage of the accident, pictures of the unsafe condition, police reports filed at the scene of the accident, witness statements, medical documents/bills associated with your injury, and more to prove your claim.

How long will I have to file a premises liability claim in Texas?

If you are injured in an accident in Texas and are looking to sue the property owner responsible for your injuries, you must ensure you do so within the state’s statute of limitations. Since the statute of limitations for premises liability claims in Texas is, generally, two years, you will, generally, have two years from the date of your accident to sue. Do not wait past the two-year mark, for if you do, there is a very good chance that you will be permanently barred from receiving the compensation you need to heal.

Contact our experienced Smith County, Texas firm

There are few things more jarring and disturbing than being wrongly injured in an accident. Our firm understands how difficult it can be to recuperate after a serious accident, which is why we are here to help you through the legal process, every step of the way. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident due to another party’s negligence, you need a skilled attorney on your side. Contact J. Chad Parker, PLLC today for an attorney who is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.